For more than 50 years, Job One has been providing opportunities for adults with disabilities. We were formed in 2011 from the merger of two organizations, IBS Industries and Foundation Workshop ––both with decades of service helping people with disabilities. These two organizations (founded in 1967) came together to expand employment opportunities, take advantage of joint marketing and sales efforts, and to create a more efficient and cost-effective agency. As a result, Job One is one of the largest and most programmatically diverse business of its kind in the state. Nearly 40% of Job One employees work in community settings and that number is growing each year! Thanks to a committed board of directors, hardworking staff, and outstanding employees we are poised for growth and program innovation.
Job One today
- We employ nearly 300 people with disabilities in Jackson County and surrounding Kansas City metro areas. We take immense pride in our person-centered approach to employment services and our diverse business offerings speak to the wide range of choices we offer.
- Employees enjoy choices. Secure Document Solutions, Recycling, Job One Careers, AbilityOne, Community Employment, and Subcontracting.
- 40 staff members with expertise in manufacturing, document destruction, recycling, logistics, finance, human resources, nonprofit management, and developmental disabilities help manage the business operations.
- A community board made up of 14 individuals from diverse backgrounds and skill sets govern the organization and ensure proper oversight and strategic direction.
- Job One operates on a nearly $5,000,000 annual budget.
- 70%+ of our revenue is earned through surpluses on the businesses that we run. This means that Job One is not as reliant upon government funding as many of our nonprofit peers.